Doing Nothing

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Time flies

Now, I'm not sure if this is even marginally true or whether there's at all any scientific reasoning behind it, but apparently if you're happy, the days should go by quickly and months go by slowly. I admit that I have a very very poor concept of time. Ridiculously poor. Personally, the only days that go by quickly are the weekends. As for months, it's not so much they go quickly or slowly, more like "has it only been a month since I've had a day off?" or "is it really a whole month before I can hope for spring?"

In other words, my concept of time is entirely formed by self-created target dates, which I'm guessing is the case for most people. What I mean is, no one really thinks in terms of units like "week" or "month" but in terms of personal dates like "weekly yoga class" or "anniversay." For example, I have no concept of how far apart my credit card bills arrive, since I never spend enough on them for the bills to be a concern for me. Just on the odd day, I'll worry whether I've missed a bill payment, then realize that it's only been 2 weeks since my last bill. On the other hand, people with credit problems may feel each day very acutely.

I think these personal units of time also depend on how routine the associated thing is. Something that comes up every day would quickly cease to be a measurement of time (how many people can remember what they had for dinner 2 or 3 days ago?). For myself, piano lessons mark my Tuesdays, but it's become routine so that I can't feel that it's "a week until the next lesson" or "only 2 days left to practice for the next lesson." Or at least not the way I might have when I first started.

This whole post really is an excuse for why I haven't updated in a while compared with my initial efforts :) But I think I might a bit of a point here. I mean, what's your concept of time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home