Doing Nothing

Monday, February 20, 2006

The kindness of neighbours

Now that I walk to work, I'm actually meeting people who live along my street. Of course, these are people that I've seen and greeted before, but now that I see them somewhat regularly, there's more of a "neighbour" feel and less "acquaintance" feel.

Anyway, for the past month or so, someone's been bringing in my empty garbage can every Tuesday. Before, I would come home to my emptied garbage can sprawled on the driveway/front lawn/side of street, and if there was rain, I would have the non-fun of pouring out rain water from the non-clean garbage can (this was actually quite a task, since there's no good way to turn a wet, muddy garbage can upside down without getting yourself all dirtied, and then there's the challenge of keeping a good grip on the slippery plastic while holding it out at arm's length and making sure nothing splashed on yourself). Most likely, whoever is wheeling the garbage can back to my garage on Tuesdays is just keeping it from rolling out into the street and being a hazard. But still, I wish I knew who it was so I could thank him/her. And it seems kinda weird to put a thank you note on a garbage can...

Another neighbour waved me over on my way to work one morning and explained that her son was the mailman. So, she explained, if I wanted, I could have packages left at her house for easy pickup, rather than having to go all the way to the local post station. I would simply leave a note on my mailbox and drop at her place when I got home from work. I probably won't do so, since I don't get many packages anyway, but it's a nice gesture.

And there's the man who takes morning walks practically everyday. Well, actually, he bikes in the summer. He said that he likes me because I very health-ily walk to the station and because I very diligently bring out the garbage every week (what else would I be expected to do with the garbage?).

Well, those are the neighbours of the older generation. Next time, perhaps we shall discuss the younger folks :) Oh, and for the sake of visualization, let's pretend my neighbourhood looks like this:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home