Doing Nothing

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sleeping

That's how most people would like to pass away - peaceful, sleep-like. Preferably with loved ones nearby. Preferably having lived a full life, with all matters settled. Death from natural causes, with ample time for mental preparation and acceptance. When children have become independent.

In that situation, it's not even that sad when the person dies. It's more like a nice rounded finish. Does it take courage to face death in such a situation? Generally, I think not. If anything, it seems that children and dependents are the ones who find it difficult. It is the thought of having to move on without what was once a constant in their lives. So to have reached the point where you yourself are dying, and your children/family/dependents are okay with your passing is actually a good thing. Then, you have been successful in teaching and raising your kids, in establishing good life skills in your family, and in teaching independence to your (former) dependents.

Parents always say that they will always worry about their children, even when their kids are 50. But they rarely say that they want their kids to keep thinking of them. Sure, visit occasionally, and bring the grandkids, certainly! But they prefer to almost fade as they age, I think.

Hmm...I think I'm too young still to guess at what they might think. But hopefully, I'd be able to handle old age that way! Oh yeah, provided I fail in my plan to die young :D

1 Comments:

  • I would like to be relatively youthful until the day I die. But perhaps this would make it harder to accept the coming of death? I feel as if people who say they lived a long, full life and are ready to move on are actually saying that they are weary of their aged body.

    But what do I know?

    By Blogger wy jay, at 2:02 a.m., February 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home