Doing Nothing

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Thunderstorming and gardening


There's nothing better than a thunderstorm in summer. Especially if you, like myself, have no plans to water the lawn this year. It does seem a bit odd that we have to water the lawn, fertilize the flowers, weed the shrubbery. I mean, the whole point is to recreate a bit of nature for ourselves, right? Logically, wouldn't nature be able to take care of itself without our tender loving care? But then, I guess we don't REALLY want a piece of nature (decaying logs, layers of decomposing leaves, forests of weeds). What people really want is a semblance of nature - domesticated, I guess. Much like how people like to have domesticated animals.

And sitting here, listening to the thunderstorm, I'm starting to think I'd like to have domesticated weather. Not in the docile sense, since that's quite boring. More like a dome or enclosed sphere where I can tend to the temperature/humidity/pressure and nurture a little thunderstorm every so often. I'm sure such a thing would do wonders for agriculture and disaster management, if on a large scale (in fact, there has already been quite a lot of work on cloud seeding). However, I'm more interested in domesticating weather the way people like gardening (as compared to reforestation) - it's mighty therapeutic, regardless of whether I'm inside or outside.

I'm sure there's a deep, cathartic reason why thunderstorms are so attractive, but I'd rather not think about that right now. Let's just enjoy the rain.

1 Comments:

  • My mom once said that only people who have lived a somewhat comfortable life enjoys rain/thunderstorms.

    I hope domesticated weather comes with a good snow/ice removal service (always follow up snow with warm rainy weather). That by itself would improve my life in a big way.

    By Blogger wy jay, at 2:06 a.m., February 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home